Plan Your Epic Grand Rapids Summer: Events You Won’t Want to Miss
Grand Rapids boasts 4 beautiful seasons, all with their own particular appeal. But summer, with its long, warm, sunny days, is special. It’s a season to celebrate: we grill, we spend time outdoors with family and friends, and we bask in seemingly endless days when the sun doesn’t set until well after dinner.
Make the most of this summer by marking your calendar NOW for these Grand Rapids summer events you won’t want to miss!
- Grand Rapids Festival of the Arts. Started in 1969, this June 1,2 & 3 marks the Annual Festival, which is a weekend of downtown art-related fun aimed at making art accessible to everyone. Join the throngs of locals and visitors who turn out every summer to enjoy the free live music, dance, and arts activities…and indulge in tasty treats from dozens of food booths.
- Amway Family Fireworks for the 4th of July- Join us in downtown Grand Rapids July 1, 2017 – yes, July 1st – for the city’s annual Amway Family Fireworks event! The event kicks off at 5:00 p.m. at Ah-Nab-Awen Park near the Ford Presidential Museum in downtown Grand Rapids. Join Townsquare Media on-air personalities for family-fun activities, games, food trucks, vendors exhibits and live bands!
- 11TH Annual Fonders Fest – Beer lovers unite! Gather with beer aficionados from GR and everywhere else for this celebration on the streets outside Founders. You’ll find great beer, live music, awesome food, and a strong sense of community. (Ages 21+ only!) June 16, 2018, 3PM-11PM.
- Visit Lake Michigan. No summer in Grand Rapids is complete without at least one visit to the big lake. There are tons of great beaches to explore including stunning state parks in Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven, Grand Haven, Pentwater and Ludington, all within an hour and a half drive (mostly closer). If you’re headed to Grand Haven, plan your trip to coincide with one of their highly-anticipated annual summer events: the Grand Haven Art Festival (June 23-24) 10am – 5pm both days, the Coast Guard Festival (July 27 – August 4), Saugatuck Venetian Festival July 27 @ 5:00 pm – July 28 @ 11:00 pm.
- Experience an outdoor concert at Meijer Gardens. Tickets go fast for the hottest acts in the Fifth Third Bank Summer Concert Series, but any ticket is worth the chance to experience live music in this beautiful, intimate venue with stunning acoustics. May 30 – September 3.
- GRandJazzFest presented by DTE Energy Foundation. Back for a fifth year, this free two-day jazz extravaganza takes place at Rosa Parks Circle on August 18 &19.
- Find a Fair! Visit the fairgrounds and treat yourself to a funnel cake, elephant ears, or a carousel ride.
Ionia Free Fair – July 12 – 21
Ottawa County Fair – July 23-28
Kent County Youth Fair-